I'm a PhD student in the Double E department. I have multiple reasons to apply for this residence tutorship, but in the interest of time, perhaps let me just share two of them with you.
My first reason is that, university has virtually been my home for the past 10 years or so, so it is only natural that I have the want to start contributing to this community that I can relate to. You know, just from a sense of responsibility.
Second, as a postgraduate student, I'm not here just to do research, but I'm also hoping to continue my own personal growth, in particular, to improve my communication and leadership skills. I believe that being a residence tutor can enable me to do so, by providing an opportunity for me to meet, to interact with and to learn from people from different background. I treasure the opportunity, and I look forward to the challenge.
廣東話版:
我係電子工程系 ge 博士生。我今次 apply 做 hall tutor,原因有幾個,不過,時間關係,或者等我淨係講最重要嗰兩個原因啦~
首先,過去嗰十年,我大部分時間都嚮大學度讀書同做研究,之前喺科大啦,而家就過左黎中大。大學就好似自己 ge 屋企咁。可能係責任問題啦,我覺得自己都係時候去開始嘗試去為哩個群體,做返啲野,盡一分力。
第二就係,作為一個研究生,我覺得我希望 ge 唔係淨係去做研究,我同時都好希望自己可以繼續去發展自己 ge 其他方面,尤其係嚮溝通技巧同領導才能方面。做 Hall tutor ge 話,我相信會接觸好多唔同類型、唔同學術背景 ge 同學、師長。自私啲講句啦,我覺得對自己 ge 個人發展非常有幫助。哩個都係我今次 apply ge 其中一個主要原因。
What do you think are the most important
roles of college education?
I
believe that college education serves two main purposes. The first is to
provide students a chance to meet people from various academic disciplines, so
that they may learn from one another. The second is to help them discover or develop
their own talents beyond their major.
But the higher and the ultimate
goal, of course, is to help them understand what are important in life through
various activities. In other words, to help them discover their own purposes,
so that by the time they graduate, they will not only be able to make sound decisions for
themselves, but will also have the heart to help improve the society as a whole.
What do you think should be the focus of our college now?
As I
understand on the College Webpage, although the SH Ho college is still rather
new, having been here for only 2 years, the college has already established
quite a broad range of student activities, both college-organized and
student-initiated. My guess is that what is the most important now is to
encourage the active participation from students, to make sure that everyone is
aware of the available resources, AND has the courage to try using them, so that they can really be benefitted.
What are your expectations regarding your roles?
Regarding this, I am actually quite flexible. The bottomline is that I
believe I am mature enough to shoulder more responsibilities, be it about
planning activities together with students, or to propose new functions that
have educational values.
If you were to propose one single activity based on what you have written in your application, what would be that activity?
I will encourage the students to run some regular seminars. For each meeting, we will have multiple speakers, each giving a short talk on a topic of their own choice. It can be an academic topic, like quantum mechanics, or one of general interests, like language, music, philosophy, literature and so on, or just to give a book review. I believe we already have activities like that ---- for example, students from the some GE classes are asked to present their papers.
But I think we shall really broaden the scope of such seminars. I believe we have an incentive scheme, in which there is one category called "student life participation". Perhaps such activities can also be counted?
沒有留言:
發佈留言